Practically health food: Banana oat Nutella muffins

Confession: I only medium like Nutella and I maintain a critical stance towards the all-things-Nutella bandwagon I see on Pinterest. It's good, but it's not chocolate, people.

However, there is apparently something magical that happens when you put Nutella and banana together. Who knew? (Apparently the 49ers because Mr. T reports that in the 501 Club level at the new Levi Stadium, you can purchase banana Nutella crepes, FYI.)

Last week my dear friend Geeta shared a recipe for Nutella Banana Oat Muffins from Chef In Training. It took all my willpower not to drop everything and get baking--banana and oats? That's basically health food. After making these badboys last night, I regret waiting so long.

They're a snap to put together and produce 12 dense, not too sweet, chewy (thanks to the oats) muffins with ribbons (and if you do it my way, pockets) of Nutella goodness. Get to baking. You won't regret it!


Nutella Banana Oat Muffins
Adapted slightly from Chef in Training

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 bananas, mashed
Nutella

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir until well blended. (I used a whisk.)
3. In a large bowl, beat the egg. Then add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the Nutella. Stir until well blended.
4. Add flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir until it's barely combined. The batter will be thick and a little lumpy.
5. Line a muffin pan with 12 muffin cups.
6. Spoon a dollop of batter into each cup. Follow with half a teaspoon of Nutella.
7. Cover the Nutella with another dollop of batter. Follow with another half teaspoon of Nutella. You can be generous with the Nutella. It won't hurt anything.
8. Gently cut the Nutella into the batter with a knife or toothpick (basically, swirl or drag the toothpick back and forth)
9. Bake at 375 for 17-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. DO NOT OVERBAKE.

Notes:
1. Next time I will add a third banana as I think my bananas were on the small side.
2. To simplify, follow the original recipe which says to fill the muffin cups with batter and then top with Nutella. My way, while more work, results in better Nutella distribution. I'm also considering plopping a dollop of Nutella on the bottom, then covering with batter and topping with Nutella. (You don't believe my earlier statement that I only medium like Nutella, do you?)
3. I might have to make these with streusel topping next time. Someone do this and report back.
4. Do not overbake. Seriously.

xoxo,
shawna

Other sweet things
NaBloPoMo posts
11/1- Tag, I'm it for NaBloPoMo
11/2- An airplane fairy with Cessna wings

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,