Closet shopping as diet motivation?

So many cute college-era skirts hiding in the back of my closet.
At what point are clothes considered vintage?
"Where did that come from?" T asked, eyeing the short white and red striped skirt I was modeling with a raised eyebrow.

"The closet," I replied in a twirl, intonation staving off any insinuation of off-budget shopping.

I was mid-way through trying on all of the pants and skirts in my closest, confronting a task which I've put off for years apparently as T remarked on several items he couldn't remember seeing before.

From his comments, I realized how few clothes I keep in my regular rotation. Why? Partially the lack of coordinating tops (apparently I like to buy bottoms three times as often as tops), but mostly the snug factor.

I frequently half joke about my pants never fitting, but it's mostly the truth. Since finishing grad school, I haven't been able to summon the willpower to hit the gym enough or heaven forbid, diet. As a result, my go-to outfits stopped being comfortable some time ago. (Sad face.)

Consequently, I find myself staring into the depths of a full closet every morning feeling like I have not a damn thing to wear. A big factor? Having no idea what still fits.

So, after a quick try-on (one of my least favorite activities and why I hate clothes shopping, by the way), I sorted clothes into four piles--fits (yay!), will fit in a few pounds (all right), will fit with significant effort (meh), and hey Goodwill!.

Right now, the "fits" pile is wee. I'm hoping that if I arrange my closet by fit-ability, I will be motivated to get into the alllmooost fits pile which is huge by comparison and contains most of my favorite and cutest items. Coupled with Rated R fridge art and my rekindled love affair with zumba, I'm hopeful. (Let's just pretend the big eating holidays aren't upcoming, okay?)

Any good motivation tips for me?!

xoxo,
shawna

Fitness posts that apparently I need to re-read:
- Rated R fridge art as diet motivation
- Applying "The Power of Habit": Making exercise a "keystone habit"
- Feeling like a summer sausage
- Magical thinking doesn't make my pants fit: Developing a fitness plan
- Braving Bikram: What I learned about hot yoga, day 1
- Dialogue of mad muscles
- Mad muscle redux
- Fitness class characters
- Desperate times in the pants fitting department
- Not all Zumba classes are created equal

NaBloPoMo posts
11/1- Tag, I'm it for NaBloPoMo
11/2- An airplane fairy with Cessna wings
11/3- Practically health food: Banana oat Nutella muffins
11/4- 10 things I want to accomplish in the next 57 days of 2014

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,