Flowers and flutterbys in photos: Happy Spring, people!

It's been a difficult day in a difficult series of weeks and months, but with joy and gratitude I realized a new season is upon us. My favorite season, in fact: Spring.

Although I recognize that dear friends in the East may be seeing only meager signs of this vernal equinox (come home soon, Brenda and Cheryl!), out West, things are coming up roses. Literally.

In addition to the thorny shrub, I'm seeing pink tulips, lacy green fern fronds, showy magenta azaleas, happy ranunculus, a bazillion weeds, and many other green things. And birds, and squirrels, and yesterday, a giant butterfly.

It's difficult to stay gloomy when everything looks so damn happy!

See...

A lovely backyard canopy.
So many ranunculus came up from last season. Yay!
Check out this giant fellow. He was at least six inches wide! And the whole time he was flying about, I kept telling myself: Do not swat! Do not swat! Do not swat! It's just a fancy moth, people. Shudder.
Japanese Maple.
Hoping the beetles stay away this year.
Azaleas.
Newly planted bacopa ground cover.
Weirdo pooch doesn't understand he can roam free. He'd rather sit on my lawn chair and help grade papers.
It's fun to see where last year's bulbs pop up.
xoxo,
shawna

Related links:
Spring joy in photos
The number one rule of gardening
The pursuit of perennial curb appeal
Domestic bliss
Stalking hummingbirds, my new profession
Weekend warriors
Tips, tricks and warnings for growing tomatoes
Front yard veggie gardening

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,