Giving thanks where it's due

On a recent flight from Denver to DC, a passenger brought in a bunch of
dark chocolate for the flight attendants. The small thank you seemed to
make their day. I must remember to be that passenger one of these days!
I startled the flight attendant. After she graciously refilled my coffee for the third time, attending to other passengers in much the same way, I asked for her name. Quizzically, she said, "Melissa."

I should have admitted: "I want to thank you publicly, and by name." Instead I tweeted to Southwest Airlines how awesome their flight attendants were--especially Melissa--on my recent flight from Sacramento to Denver. But I really regret not telling her, too.

Having just spent a lot of time riding in cabs, visiting restaurants and interacting with myriad folks in hospitality and customer service, I've observed the sometimes crappy behavior they tolerate from patrons. As a result, I'm feeling compelled to amp up my expressed gratitude as we roll into the busy holiday season.

To that end, I'm practicing the art of thanking people specifically, by name and when possible, recognizing them publicly whether via twitter, company email or conversations with managers. I figure the civility and gratitude should rub off on others, right? Wishful thinking?

xoxo,
shawna

National Blog Posting Month:
Day 1- National Blog Posting Month on BlogHer: I'm in
Day 2- Project Green Thumbs Season 5, winter edition!
Day 3- Things I'd rather do instead of "killing my darlings"

Day 4- A grateful heart: A man who understands writing deadlines
Day 5- Velveting: The secret to restaurant quality Chinese chicken

Day 6- Note: "Tea bagger" is NOT the same as "tea party" 
Day 7- A moment in travel
Day 8- Fall in the desert
Day 9- The world's best salted caramel brownies
Day 10- It's not everyday someone throws a fish at you: Berryessa Gap Paella Cook-off
Day 11- Thank you, veterans
Day 12- Flying history: Buzzing around in the Boeing Stearman biplane
Day 13- How to not go broke with an e-reader, aka why I heart the public library
Day 14- Cliteracy
Day 15- A journaling fool
Day 16- Humbugs and elves can coexist, I swear
Day 17- 11 tips for taking the stress out of airport security
Day 18- Fly Girl in Training: Finding AvGeek community on Southwest Airlines
Day 19- Photos: A day in Washington, D.C.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,