Cliteracy

New York artist Sophia Wallace promotes what she calls "cliteracy."  
I don't blog about sex. Mostly because it's none of your damn business. And partly because both me-n-T's mothers tend to keep up with my writing.

But I can't help but bring to your attention artist Sophia Wallace's work promoting and educating about the clitoris. (If I just lost half of you, gentle readers, I'm sorry, we'll be back to our regularly scheduled PG content soon!)

Wallace's art addresses misconceptions about the only human body part which functions purely for pleasure and asks people to become "cliterate," aka understand the clitoris and how it works.

Some stats from Wallace's work that surprised me:

What I appreciate most about Wallace's work is how she problematizes (a nice $10 grad school word there) the lack of knowledge about the clitoris and showcases how it's not just a nice accessory but a major sexual organ. Her art encourages gender equity in the sex department, and I applaud her work to educate people. As a communication scholar, I can't help but think how cliteracy will translate to better sex which may result in stronger relationships and probably, eventually, world peace. Go, Sophia!

xoxo,
shawna

National Blog Posting Month:
Day 1- National Blog Posting Month on BlogHer: I'm in
Day 2- Project Green Thumbs Season 5, winter edition!
Day 3- Things I'd rather do instead of "killing my darlings"

Day 4- A grateful heart: A man who understands writing deadlines
Day 5- Velveting: The secret to restaurant quality Chinese chicken

Day 6- Note: "Tea bagger" is NOT the same as "tea party" 
Day 7- A moment in travel
Day 8- Fall in the desert
Day 9- The world's best salted caramel brownies
Day 10- It's not everyday someone throws a fish at you: Berryessa Gap Paella Cook-off
Day 11- Thank you, veterans
Day 12- Flying history: Buzzing around in the Boeing Stearman biplane
Day 13- How to not go broke with an e-reader, aka why I heart the public library

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,