I joke that Mr. T gets squirrelly if he's been on solid ground for too long. (Truly, he's a much happier camper when he flies regularly). Me, I need to write. Right now I feel absolutely antsy for having gone more than a week without pecking out a post... especially because I have SO much to tell you. So here are Thursday 13 things on my mind...
I want to tell you:
1. About my spur-of-the-moment 48-hour visit to Germany. Yes, Germany. More on that (and more pictures!) soon.
2. That I think my buns might be going flat. Truly, I flew (read: sat on my duff) for 30 hours to and from Germany, and for another 12 hours to Phoenix the other day. I'm certain that the 12 hour return trip from Cactus Land will render my tush completely pancake-like. (Sad face.)
3. How frustrating teaching is sometimes. Lord knows I love being in the classroom, but some days, it's tough to be teacher. In particular, I hate putting so much time and effort into lessons, and watching them dissolve before my very eyes... and in front of the eyes of a classroom evaluator! Ugh.
4. What it's like to be quoted in Newsweek. Next time, I really want to be quoted for something I've actually accomplished. Until then, this will do.
5. How it feels to reenact Southwest Flight 812. That's what I was doing in Germany. Long story, stay tuned.
6. That I can't believe it will be one year since Southwest Flight 812 this Sunday. Strange.
7. About Gottman's ratio and the secret to happy relationships. We talked about the communication behaviors of happy and unhappy couples today in class. The secret: For happy relationships, communicate at least five positives for every negative.
8. How talented my mom is. She put together an incredible hair photoshoot on Sunday at Hoshall's Salon and Spa in Carmichael--styling, vision, and photography! Can't wait to show you the pictures.
9. About the wonders of schnitzel. Truly.
10. It's strange how night classes wire me. I have no idea how my students practically fall asleep in class because every Wednesday night when we leave at 9:30 p.m. (yes, 9:30 p.m.), my brain won't stop buzzing.
11. I may or may not be obsessed with Pinterest lately. Mr. T, I cannot help it if our house becomes muy much more stylish soon. Really. It's not my fault.
12. How a German airport security agent tried to shame me last week. Unlike our TSA agents, they seem to really care about those liquids and gels. More on that soon!
13. I need a generous benefactor, STAT. I'm coordinating a service project for my department at school. We're going to this underfunded elementary school in downtown Phoenix that serves primarily homeless youth and African refugees. The students and staff are incredible! Only, their school looks a bit like prison. Truly, grey cinderblock as far as the eye can see. I've got 55 volunteers lined up to paint an 86-foot mural and organize a teacher resource room this Saturday. Only, the donations from local hardware and home stores have been less than forthcoming. We're alllllmost there, but I could really use a windfall for a good cause!
Questions? Comments? E-mail bluestmuse(at)gmail(dot)com
Labels: airplanes, airport, Arizona, Arizona State University, ASU, Cactus Land, Flight 812, Germany, Gottman, Mr. T, Newsweek, personal, Phoenix, Pinterest, security, Southwest, teaching, Travel, volunteering