I'm on the airplane last night, somewhere over the Sierras and it occurred to me: I did not do my Thursday 13! I lamented out loud to T once on the ground, and he reminded me that it's finals week and I'm more than a teensy bit busy. Well, I figured it may be late and not that great, but here it is... More Life List goals! (I warned you this would be an easy go-to.)
1. Make pie. Due to the crust intimidation factor, I have never made pie from scratch. I concocted a pumpkin pie a couple years ago using Marie Callendar's frozen crust. It was DELECTABLE, but I cheated. My goal is to learn to make crust like my dear friend Jeanne J. My end-all, be-all pie challenge is to make the perfect lemon meringue. Stay tuned.
2. Practice bikram yoga. Shan took me to bikram a couple years ago and I fell in love! Someday I hope to practice regularly. I can't tell you how good it felt to be so limbered up and centered. I could barely walk afterwards (like for days after), but it still felt wonderful, despite the torrid temperatures.
3. Publish an article in Esquire. As the only magazine I subscribe to (sorry Cooking Light, I'll catch up with you when I have a chance to cook again), I admit I love Esquire. I appreciate the often outrageous wit and I adore Tom Chiarella. Some day, I'd love to have a creative non-fiction piece show up there.
4. Learn to play piano. Been failing at this since I was 9. My last attempt was freshman year in college. Turns out evil piano teachers are rampant in the world. (Or maybe it's that practicing doesn't suddenly become fun when you're 18. Hmm.) Several of my friends play beautifully and I've always been jealous. I would like to tinkle keys, too!
5. Be on the NYT best seller's list. Since Oprah's damn book club is going away, I'll settle for the New York Time's list. Fine.
6. Become a Kiwanis volunteer again. When I joined Kiwanis in 2004, I was the youngest member in the state, outside of the kids club. I hope to re-up one of these years although sadly, I won't be such a spring chicken any more. Probably only 30 years between me and the youngest member instead of 40. ha!
7. Hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir at Christmas time. I've always wanted to hear those lovely voices and going to SLC would give me a great excuse to meet Bethany! (Just making sure you're reading, dear. haha.)
8. Visit all 50 states. The Hopscotch Honeymoon added three to my list and I'm up to 41 states now! I only have Alaska, Massachusetts, Maine, Rhode Island, Vermont, Connecticut, New Hampshire, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
9. Keep cilantro alive. I've tried two years running and the only herb I cannot keep alive is cilantro. What gives??
10. Grow strawberries. My gram used to have a big strawberry patch. I think our current place is too critter-laden to grow berries without maximum security, but some day those sweet berries will be MINE. Until then, it's roadside fruit stands and the every-decade trip to Casa de Fruita.
11. See sunset in Santorini. Ever since seeing The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants with Shan (I loved it and I'm not ashamed to admit it), I've wanted to see Santorini. Can't wait to see it in person.
12. Make Bouef Bourguignon Julia Child style. Probably need to visit the Cordon Bleu first, but someday I will attempt this dish!
13. Go ice skating at Rockefeller Center. Cliche, yes. Do I care? No. I would love to skate at Rockefeller Center. This means dragging my cool Brooklynite sister to a giant tourist trap, but I will prevail, dammit!
Labels: The Life List, Thursday 13